Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I contact City Hall?
A: City Hall is located at 938 Fresno Street. We are open Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (excluding holidays). You can contact the office by calling (209) 862-3725.

Q: How do I sign up for utility services?
A: To sign up for utility services, you must come to City Hall 938 Fresno Street, pay a $25 application fee, pay a $150.00 deposit and show legal proof of residence; a renter's contract or grant deed is preferred. Utility services cannot be set up over the phone.

Q: When is my utility bill due?
A: Bills are due on the 10th day of each month. (If the 10th falls on a weekend or holiday the bill is due the next business day.)

Q: Where can I pay my bill?
A: There are four (4) easy ways to pay your bill:

  1. Mail your payment to PO Box 787
  2. Use the City drop box located in front of City Hall
  3. In person at City Hall
  4. Pay online

Q: Can I pay my utility bill with a debit/credit card?
A: You can pay with a Debit or Credit card online or in person at City Hall – 938 Fresno St.

Q: What do I do if I do not receive my billing statement in the mail?
A: If for some reason your billing statement is lost, you can go online to see and pay your bill.  Should you wish to pay your bill by check, you can contact the Finance Department at (209) 862-3725 for the amount due. 

Q: What do I do if my service has been disconnected?
A: If your services have been disconnected, you must go to City Hall at  938 Fresno Street to have them reconnected. There will be a $25.00 reconnection fee plus a $150.00 deposit. You must also pay the past due amount. If you do not have any more late payments, the deposit will be credited towards your bill after 18 months or returned to you upon moving.

Q: Who do I call if my garbage did not get picked up?
A: All calls regarding garbage service should be made directly to the City of Newman at (209) 862-3725.

Q: Who needs a business license?
A: Anyone conducting business within City Limits must obtain a business license.
Including but not limited to:

  • Retail and wholesale business
  • Any contractor doing business within the City
  • Soliciting or peddling
  • Delivery vehicles or merchant patrol services
  • Business operating from a home

The Business License fiscal year is from July 1 to June 30. License payments are to be paid in advance annually and are due on the first day of July.

Q: Should I notify City Hall if I move?
A: Yes. You will continue to be billed; your utility services will not be stopped unless you notify City Hall.

Q: Does the city have a Brush Pick-Up Program?
A: Yes. Brush pick-up begins in November and ends in March.

Q: When does water conservation occur?
A: Beginning in April and ending in November, you cannot water your lawn/landscaping between 1:00 PM and 6:00 PM.